Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sirloin Tip Roast

People have asked me why I always make adaptations instead of following recipes.  It's not because I think my way is better, really.  It's more based on what I have in my pantry.  If I don't have a specific ingredient that a recipe calls for, I'll substitute with something else, or omit it.  I'm just a lazy cook, plain and simple.

For example, this original recipe calls for dry mustard, which I don't have, so instead of going out and picking some up at the grocery store (too much work), I chose instead to use regular Dijon mustard.

And why did I pre-heat the oven at 400 degrees F instead of the 350 that the original recipe called for?  Because I was roasting veggies in the oven at the same time and didn't want to do two separate batches, I just shortened the roast's cooking time accordingly.  See?  I told you I was lazy.  :-)

Sirloin Tip Roast
Adapted from this recipe.















Ingredients:
  • a 2-pound sirloin tip roast, all visible fat removed
  • Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt
  • Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic
  • Dijon mustard
  • olive oil
  • worcestershire sauce
  • chicken broth
Directions:
  • Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
  • Season the roast liberally with TSSS and TSGG.
  • Rub several generous squirts of Dijon mustard over the seasoned roast.
  • Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in an oven-proof skillet.  Sear roast on both sides.
  • Shake a few generous dashes of worcestershire sauce over the roast.  
  • Pour about 1/4 cup chicken broth over the roast.
  • Place the skillet in the oven for 30 minutes.
  • When done, remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
  • In the meantime, reduce the juices in the skillet.  Pour over sliced roast.
ETA 1/5/12: tri tip roast

    No comments:

    Post a Comment