Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Peas and Scallion Soup

Last week's CSA farm box contained a large bunch of scallions.  What to do with a big bunch of scallions?  I did a Google search and came up with this recipe.  I made a few changes, only because I don't have fresh English peas, tofu or cilantro on hand.  And I had a container of sliced button mushrooms that I tossed in because they needed to be used.

The soup came out surprisingly good.  I'm usually not a  huge fan of scallions/onions.  I mean, I'll saute them into other dishes or use them as garnish, but I was wary of a scallion soup.  This was pleasantly mild in the onion department, and nice and sweet from the peas.

I wouldn't purposely buy a bunch of scallions to make this again, but if one happened to show up in a future CSA farm box, then why not.

Peas and Scallion Soup
Adapted from this recipe.














Ingredients:
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 large bunch of scallions (approx. 6 scallions), whites thinly sliced and greens coarsely chopped
  • 1 small 1/4 inch slice of ginger, peeled
  • 1 container (5 oz.) sliced button mushrooms
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup snow peas, cut into matchsticks
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • few dashes of rice wine vinegar
Directions:
  • In a large saucepan, combine chicken broth, water, scallion greens and ginger.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until scallions are mushy and broth is flavorful.  Strain and discard solids.
  • Add mushrooms and frozen peas.  Bring to a boil. 
  • Add sugar snap peas and snow peas and cook for about a minute.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Remove soup from heat and stir in the scallion whites and a few dashes of rice wine vinegar.
  • Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment