Thursday, March 17, 2011

Baked Spinach

Today's CSA farm box contained a beautiful large bunch of spinach.  If it had been baby spinach, I would have made a salad.  But I don't care too much for raw spinach (unless it's baby), so I was thinking of making my usual creamed spinach.  Then I remembered coming across this recipe last week and thought I'd give it a try.  YUM!

I had a huge bunch of fresh spinach, andI added in a 1 pound bag of frozen chopped spinach.  It yielded 2 cups cooked and was the perfect amount for 3 adults and a toddler.  I also didn't have any Swiss cheese on me, so I used a combo of Parmesan and mozzarella.

The original recipe calls for blanching the fresh spinach, but I was too lazy to do that and it turned out just fine.

Baked Spinach
Adapted from this recipe.















Ingredients:
  • 4 cups chopped fresh spinach (or 2 cups frozen)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon Smart Balance
  • Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt
  • 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Wash, drain and chop the fresh spinach.
  • Thaw and drain the frozen spinach.
  • Heat olive oil and Smart Balance in a pan.  Add spinach and TSSS and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes until soft and most of the moisture has evaporated.
  • Sprinkle flour over the spinach and stir for a couple of minutes.
  • Add the chicken broth, a little bit at a time, stirring and scraping up the pan.
  • Pour half the spinach mixture into a small baking dish.  Sprinkle with half the parmesan and half the mozzarella.  Add the remaining spinach mixture to the baking dish and top with the rest of the cheese.
  • Bake for 20 minutes until heated through and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment