Friday, March 25, 2011

Salmon with Lentils

I love lentils and am always looking for ways to prepare it. I was watching Barefoot Contessa the other day and this recipe made me salivate right on the couch. I love Ina. If only she'd invite me to one of her dinner parties. Or lunch, or breakfast, brunch, heck, even for a snack. I'm not picky.

The original recipe calls for a ton of onions. I don't like onions that much, so I cut way back on the amount. I also just did a quick pan sear of the salmon on the stove top instead of transferring it to the oven. Only because I was roasting beets in the oven at the same time and didn't have room to add the fish.

Everything was delicious.

Salmon with Lentils
Adapted from this recipe.















Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dry lentils
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 shallots, chopped
  • 1/4 cup leeks, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 large stalks celery, chopped
  • 3 large carrots, chopped
  • 1.5 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt (to taste)
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 6 individual portions of salmon fillets, pan-seared or broiled in the oven
Directions:
  • Place lentils in a heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water.  Let sit for 15 minutes, then drain.
  • In a large saute pan, heat oil, then add shallots, leeks and thyme.  Cook over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
  • Add garlic and cook a couple more minutes.
  • Add the drained lentils, celery, carrots, chicken broth, tomato paste, and TSSS.
  • Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes until lentils are soft and have absorbed the liquid.
  • Add the vinegar and toss.
  • Plate the lentils and top with the cooked salmon.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment