Thursday, September 23, 2010

Butternut Squash Tacos

Let me start off by saying I got this idea from here. It is such a brilliant idea, I only wish I'd come up with it myself. And her presentation of the dish is just gorgeous. I love her blog.

I decided to go vegetarian tonight, so I made the tacos with beans instead of meat, but you could easily use ground beef or turkey, or sliced steak, etc.  I also am not good with mixing seasonings, so I just used a packet of Lawry's taco seasoning instead of making up my own.

I decided to copy Kath in her blog and used the butternut squash "bottoms" as the "taco shells" because the presentation is so gorgeous.  I sliced up the leftover squash "tops" -- the long thin part without seeds inside -- and boxed them up to use for something else later in the week (maybe roasted?).

Butternut Squash Tacos
Adapted from this recipe.
















Ingredients:
  • cooking spray
  • 2 smallish-medium butternut squash "bottoms", washed, halved and seeded
  • 1/4 onion, finely diced
  • 1 medium carrot, finely diced or sliced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, drained
  • 1 can (15 oz.) great northern beans, drained
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • cinnamon powder
  • Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt (or salt & pepper) to taste
  • Whatever toppings you like (today I used diced avocado and Greek yogurt)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Spray the bottom of a baking pan with cooking spray.  Place the butternut squash "bottoms" in the pan, cut side down.  Bake until fork-tender, usually about 30 - 40 minutes, depending on the size of your squash.
  • In the meantime, sauté the onion and carrot in olive oil until onion is translucent and carrot is soft.
  • Add the beans and taco seasoning and cook per instructions on the seasoning packet.
  • Once the squash is soft, remove from heat and flip them over (skin side down) onto a serving plate.  Sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon and Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt.
  • Fill each squash half with the taco bean mixture and top with whatever you like.  
  • Serve immediately while still warm.
The diced avocado and Greek yogurt I used tonight was a delicious creamy combo that was a perfect match for the beans.  You could also use guacamole, salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, etc.

ETA on 10/21/11: If you're pressed for time and don't have 40 minutes to bake the squash bottoms, you can put them (already halved and seeded) in a microwave-safe bowl with a couple tablespoons of water, cover and nuke on high for 5 - 7 minutes until mostly soft.  Then place the squash onto a baking sheet misted with olive oil, and bake in a pre-heated 400 degree F oven for about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment