Sunday, February 27, 2011

Pork Chops with Roasted Apple and Fennel

I'm loving my weekly FFTY organic CSA boxes because I'm receiving items I've never bought before and learning how to cook with them.  I recently got a beautiful fennel bulb.  I know what fennel is and have seen it in stores and on food shows, but I've never cooked with it before.  I love roasted veggies in general, so when I came across this recipe I thought it would be a good way to introduce myself to cooking fennel.  It was indeed very yummy.

Pork Chops with Roasted Apple and Fennel
Adapted from this recipe.















Ingredients:
  • 2 Braeburn apples, cut into medium slices
  • 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and cut into medium slices
  • 1 red onion, cut into medium slices
  • olive oil
  • Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt
  • 4 medium pork chops (approx. 1.5 pounds), all visible fat removed
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • chopped fennel fronds for garnish
Directions:
  • Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
  • Toss apples, fennel and onion in a tablespoon of olive oil and a few dashes of TSSS.  Spread onto a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes until tender.
  • In the meantime, sprinkle TSSS over both sides of pork chops.
  • Sear pork chops on one side in a couple tablespoons olive oil in an oven-proof skillet.  Turn the chops over to the other side, then place skillet in oven.  Roast until barely pink inside, about 12 - 15 minutes (internal pork temperature should read 145 degrees F).
  • Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
  • While pork is resting, immediately deglaze the skillet with apple cider vinegar.  Add the roasted veggies into the skillet and toss.
  • Plate the pork chops and top with the veggie mix.  Garnish with some chopped fennel fronds if desired.
Deglazing the pan at the end with apple cider vinegar is KEY to the sauce.  SO GOOD!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment