Monday, June 27, 2011

Grilled Buttermilk Chicken

I love summer grilling.  Our previous grill died on us last summer, and we'd been putting off buying a new one.  I got me one of those stove-top grill pans, but it's just not the same thing.  So last month we bought a new grill and if you've noticed a decrease in my posts it's because of that.  I don't really have grill recipes.  I just take the steaks or chicken breasts or shrimp or whatever, sprinkle some TSSS and maybe some TSGG on it, rub it with some EVOO, and slap it on the grill.  Lots of flavor for minimal work.

I was searching the Web a few weeks ago for new chicken recipes and came across this.  Grilled Buttermilk Chicken.  Having lived in the South (Alabama and Tennessee) for umpteen years, I'm very familiar with buttermilk FRIED chicken.  But grilled?  I was intrigued.

The original recipe calls for bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces.  But of course that's a no-no on the South Beach Diet.  I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which I butterflied and cut through in half so I had thinner slices that would grill up more quickly.  It was perfect - flavorful, juicy and delicious.

The only catch is that the buttermilk marinade does make the grill a little messy.  But oh so worth it.

Grilled Buttermilk Chicken
Taken from this recipe.















Ingredients:
  • 1 - 1.5 cup lowfat buttermilk (enough to cover your chicken pieces)
  • 4 cloves of garlic, chopped (or 2 tablespoons Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic)
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and cut all the way through so you have 8 thinner pieces
Directions:
  • In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, garlic, paprika and TSSS to taste.
  • Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat completely.
  • Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
  • When ready to grill, pre-heat the grill to medium-high.  Grill the chicken for 7-10 minutes on each side, until cooked through.  Discard any remaining marinade.

No comments:

Post a Comment