Thursday, January 5, 2017

Baked Sole Stuffed with Spinach, Goat Cheese, and Dried Cranberries

My family loves sole, but the kids will only eat it baked plain with a few dashes of salt. So that's what I made for them for dinner tonight. But for hubby and myself, I wanted something a tad fancier. So I decided to stuff ours. With whatever I had in the fridge and pantry. Spinach. Goat Cheese. And dried cranberries. And I sprinkled pepitas on top just for fun. It was so good!

Note: I thawed about a heaping 1/2 cup frozen spinach to get the 1/4-ish cup after squeezing out the excess water. Just eyeball it and don't worry if you have a little more or little less.

Baked Sole Stuffed with Spinach, Goat Cheese, and Dried Cranberries
Makes 2 rolls. Can be scaled up as necessary.


Ingredients:

  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4-ish cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
  • 2 large sole fillets
  • 2 ounces soft goat cheese, at room temperature
  • 2 heaping teaspoons dried cranberries
  • salt and pepper
  • cooking spray
  • 1 teaspoon raw pepitas
  • lemon wedges
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
  • Heat oil in a small pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and stir for 15 - 20 seconds until fragrant, then add the spinach and toss to coat. Set aside for a few minutes to cool.
  • While spinach is cooling, salt both sides of your fillets, and lay them out onto your prep area. 
  • In a bowl, combine the cooled spinach together with the cheese, cranberries, and salt and pepper to taste. Divide the spinach mixture between the two fillets, and roll the fish. 
  • Place the rolled fillets seam-side-down onto the prepared baking sheet.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 10 - 12 minutes, until the fish is opaque and cooked through.
  • While the fish is cooking, toast the pepitas for a minute or two in the toaster oven or in a small dry pan over the stove.
  • When the fish is done, remove from oven and sprinkle with freshly-ground black pepper and the toasted pepitas.
  • Serve with lemon wedges.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to make this, I would have to leave out the cheese unfortunately but I love sole I think Hazel would too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, if you leave out the cheese, make sure to season the spinach well. And maybe spritz some lemon juice into it, too, for flavor. Let me know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete