Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Dill Gazpacho with Grilled Mahi Mahi and Shrimp

It's been HOT all week so far.  Highs in the mid-80s.  I'm glad it's not snow, but I'd love it to cool down a little bit.  My ideal is high-60s to low-70s.  I think that's in the forecast for this weekend, so yay!

Last night I made a hot soup (Lentil and White Bean Soup with Arugula) for dinner and we were all sweating bullets.  DUH.  So tonight we're having cold soup.

I don't think dill is typical of gazpacho, is it?  All the gazpacho I've had to date have typically been with parsley or basil.  Or herbless.  But I love love love how dill complements seafood, so that's what I used here.

Dill Gazpacho with Grilled Mahi Mahi and Shrimp


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups tomato juice
  • 2 persian cucumbers, chopped and divided
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh dill
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 pound grilled mahi mahi, cubed
  • 1/2 pound grilled shrimp
 Garnish:
  • diced avocado
  • roasted and salted pepitas 
  • chopped fresh dill 
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • Tabasco sauce
Directions:
  • In a blender, pulse the crushed tomatoes, tomato juice, half the cucumbers, garlic, onion, dill, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper until almost smooth.  Or chunky.  Or however you like it.  I added about 1 teaspoon of Pink Himalayan Salt, but how much you add will depend on how sweet/tart your tomatoes are, what type of salt you use, and your taste preference.
  • Add in the other half of the chopped cucumbers and buzz for another split-second (the newly-added cukes should still be slightly chunky).
  • Pour into a lidded container and refrigerate to chill for at least a couple of hours.
  • When ready to serve, ladle cold soup into 4 bowls and add in some warm grilled mahi mahi and shrimp.  I like the warmth of the fish and shrimp in contrast with the cold soup, but you can certainly use cold fish and shrimp.  Top with diced avocado, pepitas, fresh dill and a drizzle of olive oil.  Add a dash of Tabasco if you're feeling frisky.

I like to use persian cucumbers because they're firmer than regular or hothouse cukes, and this gives the soup a little more texture.

I chose to add pepitas because I'm gluten-free.  Otherwise you could certainly add croutons.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment