Saturday, June 23, 2012

Simple Tomato Beef Stew

This recipe is for Todd's friend, Brett.  A long time ago (5+ years?) we had Brett and some friends over for lunch.  I'd made a beef stew, and Brett asked for the recipe.  At that time I was winging it (I still wing it most of the time nowadays) and didn't keep a recipe book.  So I honestly don't remember exactly how I made it.  I decided to make a beef stew for dinner tonight and thought I might try to make something similar and document it for Brett.

Since I'm trying to keep this South Beach Diet friendly, I did not add any potatoes.  (I don't think I'd added potatoes back then either.)

Simple Tomato Beef Stew


Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 pounds rump round or chuck, trimmed of fat and cubed into 1" pieces
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4-ish cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3 carrots, cut into large pieces
  • 3 celery ribs, cut into large pieces
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
Directions:
  • Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Generously season the cubed meat with salt and pepper, add to the heated oil and brown on all sides.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed above and bring to a boil.  Reduce to medium-low heat to simmer.  Cook, covered, for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender.  Add more salt and pepper as needed.
  • Serve with crusty bread.
If you like a thicker stew, you can mix a tablespoon of whole wheat flour with a little bit of water until it forms a loose paste, then add it to the pot about 10 minutes before the end of cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment