Monday, May 16, 2011

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

ETA on 4/30/15: Wow, looking back on the recipe, I've changed a lot over the past 4 years. I no longer use reduced-fat anything, and I no longer use Tastefully Simple products. Now it's all organic whole cheeses/dairy and Pink Himalayan Sea Salt.

These are so so so so good! I made the following modifications from the original recipe:

I couldn't find 6" whole wheat tortillas. The only whole wheat tortillas I found were either 8" or 10", so I bought the 8" ones. I also rolled them a little thicker than a typical taquito, only because I count my grain servings and didn't want too high of a grain-to-filling ratio. This recipe made 6 large taquitos, which I served cut in half on a diagonal.

I didn't have cilantro or scallions. And I used 4oz. reduced-fat cream cheese instead of 3oz, because a package is 8oz. and it was easier for me to eyeball 1/2 a brick as opposed to 3/8ths of a brick. Also, we don't normally use or keep cream cheese around, so I can make a second batch later this week and not have leftover cream cheese lying around for goodness knows how long.

I used the juice of an entire lime instead of measuring out 1 tablespoon (again, so I wouldn't have anything partial to put back into the fridge). The lime juice is key, it lends a fantastic zing to the taquitos. And I used medium salsa for a nice but not overpowering kick.

Creamy Chicken Taquitos
Adapted from this recipe.














Ingredients:
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
  • cooking spray
  • Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt
  • 4 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup salsa
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Tastefully Simple Onion Onion
  • 1 teaspoon Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic
  • 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar
  • 6 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
  • Kosher salt
Directions:
  • Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Place chicken in a single layer onto the sheet, spray with cooking spray, and sprinkle with TSSS.  Bake for 15 - 17 minutes (for breasts) or 10 - 12 minutes (for tenders) until fully cooked.  Shred the cooked chicken as soon as it's cool enough to handle.  
  • Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.  Lightly spray a clean baking sheet with cooking spray.
  • In a large bowl, mix together the chicken with the rest of the ingredients except for the tortillas and Kosher salt.
  • Lay a tortilla onto a work surface and spoon onto it a few tablespoons of the chicken mixture.  Roll tightly, then place seam-side down onto the sprayed baking sheet.  Repeat with the rest of the tortillas and chicken mixture.
  • Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
  • Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until crispy and golden brown.

    1 comment:

    1. Looks Yummy! I'm making this next week. thanks Cammy! --Alta

      ReplyDelete