Sunday, January 9, 2011

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins

When I was pregnant with the now-toddler, I developed quite a sweet tooth.  I was eating ice cream to the point where the Baskin Robbins lady knew what my "usual" was and had it ready for me between the time she saw me pull up in the parking lot and when I entered the store.  I was also eating my weight in Cinnabons and cupcakes.  I'm amazed I'd only put on 18 lbs. that entire pregnancy, it could easily have been 58 lbs.

An online friend of mine (hi Mindy!) posted a link to her favorite Blueberry Cream Muffins recipe, and after reading it I was drooling.  BUT!  I had to make it a little more healthful in quality to compensate for the sheer quantity I would be consuming.  :-D  So I replaced the AP flour with a combination of whole wheat flour and rolled oats, the oil with ground flaxseed, and the sour cream with fat-free plain yogurt.  If you are strictly following the SBD way of eating, use Splenda in place of the brown sugar.

These are dense muffins, but they are delicious!

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
Adapted from this recipe.
Yields 24 muffins.
















Ingredients:
  • cooking spray
  • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups brown sugar, packed
  • 2 cups ground flaxseed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 2 cups fat-free plain yogurt
  • 2 cups blueberries
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray two 12-count muffin pans with cooking spray.
  • In a bowl, stir together flour, oats, salt and baking soda.  Set aside.
  • In a separate mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, ground flaxseed, vanilla and water.
  • Gradually combine the dry ingredients with the egg mixture, alternating with the yogurt, just until everything is moistened.  Do not over-stir.  Mixture will be quite thick.
  • Gently fold in the blueberries.  Again, do not over-stir.
  • Divide batter into the prepared muffin pans.
  • Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
ETA on 2/14/11:  I had a bag of frozen pineapple, so I decided to try pineapple cranberry muffins.  Instead of the 2 cups of blueberries, I used 1 bag of frozen pineapple (approx. 1.5 cups) and 1/2 cup dried cranberries.  YUM!

ETA on 2/19/11:  Instead of the 2 cups of blueberries, I added 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts.  YUM!

ETA on 10/1/11:  Instead of the 2 cups of blueberries, I added 2 large ripe mashed bananas and 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts.  I also omitted the 3/4 cup of water since the bananas added enough moisture.  YUM!

ETA on 11/29/11:  Instead of the 2 cups of blueberries, I added 2 cups of chunky home-made applesauce and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.  I also omitted the 3/4 cup of water since the applesauce added enough moisture.  YUM!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment